Monday, December 13, 2010

UPDATE ON SHOOTING OF DOUG ZERBY: Long Beach man ided; Emotional Press Conference held; Community demands answers tonight


VIDEO PRESS CONFERENCE FROM YOU TUBE.  COURTESY FROM THE LBPOST.COM
Doug Zerby: Shooting victim was well liked in Belmont Shores.
Long Beach Police Department (California)Image via WikipediaUpdate:
6:03 p.m.

Long Beach residents are asking lots of questions tonight about the shooting death of  longtime resident Doug Zerby from the gun of at least one Long Beach Police officer yesterday.

Tonight, friends and family of Doug Zerby are gathering in Belmont Shore to remember the life of the man who was shot by Long Beach Police Officers and are demanding answers.

This incident has outraged many community members, but so far, no community leaders in Long Beach have expressed outrage.Silence from our elected officials is not good during situations like this.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office has taken over the investigation in this case.

What do you think?  Tell me your opinion. Do you feel safe in Belmont Shore?

Mr. Zerby leaves behind a seven year old son.

Share your thoughts.    rRe


By Randy Economy
www.Economy4ABC.Blogspot.com
December 13, 2010
4:05 p.m.

Belmont Shore, CA

We now know the name of the man who was gunned down in front of his Belmont Shore residence this past weekend by members of the Long Beach Police Department as Doug Zerby, age 35.

Several Long Beach Police officers responded to a call on Sunday late afternoon that a man was pointing what appeared to be a "handgun" to by passers in front of his Glendora Avenue complex.

It turns out that Zerby was holding a water nozzle that "looked" like a "weapon" according to law enforcement today.  YIKES!  

Could this had been prevented?  Is an "innocent man" dead today because of the actions of the Long Beach Police Department?  What do you think? Stay tuned.  Lots more to talk about.  Hit my comment section.  Share you thoughts.

Enhanced by Zemanta

19 comments:

Sid in the Shores said...

Belmont Shores is one of the most violent areas of Long Beach. No one is safe. People walking around 24/7 high on crack or booze. Was this justified? NO WAY! We cannot tolerate this.....period. I wonder if the cops who killed Doug are still on duty?

Outraged in LB said...

Long Beach cops are always trigger happy. This happens all the time in the "north" and "west" part of Long Beach. The reason why this is such news is that a "white" guy was shot in Belmont Shores. How come Mayor Foster hasn't made a statement?

Anonymous said...

Doug was great. We all have our shortcomings, by Doug was always full of love. So sad. So angry.

Anonymous said...

I hope the Zerby family get's millions of dollars for the actions of the Long Beach Police Department...period. SHAMEFUL. Just plain SHAMEFUL!

Anonymous said...

Heard John & Ken tonight on KFI. We need peace in Long Beach tonight. Let the Justice system work....i hope

Anonymous said...

Belmont Shores has its inherited issues and crimes. Remember, this is a sm. Village for the Rich and Famous, party atmosphere for boaters, cafes, artisans and bars. City can not expect to mix regul. LB Policing, w/ this type of caliber.

Awesome seaport community and will always be respected, as many long last loves are consummated in this village. Long Beach is for lovers.

Just hope this is not connection to gay bashing by the police, as the police do not have the best ongoing relationships w/ the gay community.

Unfortunate for all this tragedy happened during the holidays.

Besides from the So Bay, not many areas, residents can live in harmony with the coastline and ocean; still co exist in w/ a lrg city.

DONE WITH LONG BEACH said...

This is what I cannot stand about living in Long Beach. Belmont Shores is very dangerous. People are getting hurt all the time. WAY TOO MANY places to get drunk and high. Someone on the Long Beach City Council better start cleaning up our ENTIRE community. Now we have "pot shops" cropping up left and right. This is NOT a SAFE place to live. I live two blocks from where this happened. I will be moving at the end of this month. I AM DONE with LONG BEACH! PERIOD!

Out of Long Beach said...

The world of Long Beach revolves around "booze" and "partying" and living "fast" and "furious." This is not the place I want to raise my children anymore.

Duck and Cover in LB said...

How many is "two rounds" of ammunition? Can someone explain this to me? Not sure if 26 bullet holes is "two rounds." Today's press conference was a total farce. "Duck and cover."

FURY IN THE SHORES said...

I have one of those "deadly" water nozzles on my hose. I will be taking if off in the morning. I am FURIOUS at MY LONG BEACH POLICE DEPARTMENT. They have GONE TOO FAR this time. Doug was a kind man, he did not deserve to be gunned down in our streets.

Scary Long Beach said...

Long Beach is a total HOLE. Nothing but trouble, and crime. I got held up on 2nd Street in Belmont Shore a couple of weeks ago, and the cop told me I should have been more aware of "my surroundings." WTF? This makes me mad. Saw the press conference on the news tonight. What a farce.

Anonymous said...

What is the point in living in Belmont Shore any longer?

Pisses me off that dogs get better treatment here than PEOPLE.

Sick of it here.

Moving ASAP.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have the name or the names of the Long Beach Police Officers who fired these deadly shots? Have they been suspended? Any updates? I live two blocks from shooting. I heard at least two dozen shots.

Anonymous said...

The sad part is the wonderful amazing son who is left behind. He isa great kid and HE deserves answers. Period. My heart is with you R.S. kisses from your auntie.

krissilala1 said...

Doug was shot and killed on my brothers front porch my brother was the friend Doug was waiting for,I am outraged in the manor in which the LBPD handled this situation you mean to tell me at440in daylight from 10 feet away the police can not tell the difference between a hose nozzle and a gun!I saw first hand 27 bullet holes which 3 were from a shotgun in my brothers Apt structure REALLY this will not be swept under the carpet,it is not going to go away RIP DOUG WE WILL NOT LET YOU BE FORGOTTEN!!!!!!!

krissilala1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brent in BS said...

I watched the Press Conference today with the new family attorney. The city of long beach needs to do the right thing and just settle this case as soon as possible, admit that the cops were wrong, place those involved on suspension, and move forward. just my thought. i live less than two blocks, and this has destroyed the spirit of belmont shores. we all feel sick and are scared that this could happen again. how come mayor foster hasn't visited our neighborhood since this took place? i will never support any current LONG BEACH elected official since they have all remained SILENT this week. SHAME SHAME SHAME!

Anonymous said...

I am THRILLED that the FAMILY is SEEKING JUSTICE and WILL NOT SIT SILENT! Doug was a wonderful man who will be missed by his family forever.

Anonymous said...

Wow people. I do not know the man, but I have only heard the details released by the press. Let me start with this. I hear some people talking about 27 bullet holes (each buck shot round is 9 bullets). Second, that hose nossle looked like a gun to me (someone elses post, I doubt the cops were 10 feet away). Third, if someone pointed that hose nossle at me with a two-handed pistol grip, I would have done the same. So with that, let the investigation continue and grieve for the man. It is a bad situation for everyone. Lets remember that it is easy to judge, unless you have all the details and you are able to put yourself in the officers situation.