Tuesday, February 22, 2011

NEW ZEALAND EARTHQUAKE UPDATE: "It is a total calamity." One of my readers in Auckland said "all we can do is Pray." Send me your pics if you are in Christchurch!




By Randy Economy
www.Economy4ABC.Blogspot.com
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
1:08 a.m. PST

Cerritos, CA

One of my readers sent me a note just a couple of minutes ago who said that his native Christchurch, New Zealand is a "total calamity."

Brent Sumners lives in the earthquake area, but is actually in the northern portion of New Zealand in Auckland on a business trip.

He found my blog via google, and fears the worst for his friends and family.

"This is one of the darkest days in the history of my country.  All we can do is pray, and try to understand why this has happened,"  Brent told me in an email.

It has been around 10 hours since the massive 6.3 earthquake literally flattened much of Christchurch, New Zealand. I have been combing the internet searching for the latest news and images from the region.

One graph really was amazing for me to review. Above is a useful chart comparing the 7.1 magnitude (that hit six months ago), and the 6.3 earthquake that hit yesterday.

I live in the "so-called" Earthquake center of the world in Southern California. I cannot imagine the horror going on throughout the entire nation of New Zealand, and for people like Brent.

If you live in New Zealand, and can get a message out to me, or my readers, please hit my comment section below, or send me your photos or video to economy4abc.blogspot.com@gmail.com

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Reporter in Aussie said...

hope the good journalists at The Press Building in Christchurch is okay.

Looks like their beautiful old building took a massive battering via images from the BBC.

Death Toll update said...

TV3 reporting unconfirmed estimates that death toll could now be between 200 and 400.

Anonymous said...

I have family in Christchurch. I saw the building my nephew works at is totally flattened.

In Hilo said...

Thanks for the update. Reading your blog here in Hawaii.

Anonymous said...

How can anyone live through such a horrific nightmare. Incredible power from Mother Nature.