Monday, January 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Prosecutors are wrapping up their criminal case against former Pico Rivera Mayor Ronald Beilke, and the case could be heading to the Jury as early as Tuesday afternoon.
If Beilke is found guilty on all charges, he could face up to six years and two months in prison.
Assistant District Attorney Sandi Roth has presented a very good case against Beilke, but his Defense Attorney Anthony Willoughby has provided some well known political figures to serve as "character" witnesses on his clients behalf, including a current Member of Congress.
The WHITTIER DAILY NEWS REPORTER RUBY GONZALES has covered the trial for the past several months, and did a TERRIFIC job tracking all the developments during the last 10 day. I encourage ALL of my readers to visit the Whittier Daily News Website for all the "ins and outs" of this fascinating case that in being held in Downtown Los Angeles.
The DA is charging that Belike, a former councilman and mayor in Pico Rivera lied about the value of 433 free movie tickets he received and voted on contracts that benefited his business, the Wienerschnitzel restaurant at 6749 S. Rosemead Blvd. within city limits.
It has been a literal "whose who" of local political figures and Pico Rivera city hall staffers and other "insiders" who have testified this past week including:
|Image via Wikipedia|
|Witness: US Rep. Grace Napolitano|
- United States Rep. Grace Napolitano (a long time political friend)
- Former Pico Rivera City Manager Chuck Fuentes
- Pico Rivera City Clerk Daryl Betancur
- Former Pico Rivera public works director Michael Moore
- Leah Kabbara, owner of Kabbara Engineering
- Michael Cummings, vice president of operations for Krikorian Theaters
- Eric Ward, General Manager of the Krikorian Theater in Pico Rivera
- Beilke himself also took the stand and denied any wrong doing.
So...tell me what you think about this case? Is Beilke guilty? Should this case have ever been brought to trial in the first place?
Do you trust your local elected city council members?
Hit my comment section below.