Monday, October 18, 2010

ASHLEY SARA PHALEN: Los Angeles woman killed at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. Would you take part in one of these "fast track courses?"


FONTANA, CA - FEBRUARY 21:  Kyle Busch, driver...Image by Getty Images via @daylifeAbove: You Tube promo of the "Indy Racing Experience."  Would you do this if you had a chance?

By Randy Economy
www.Economy4ABC.Blogspot.com
October 17, 2010
11:20 p.m.

Fontana, CA

I cannot tell you how many times I have been watching motor sports.
40-plus years. Fast, faster and the fastest of cars, bikes, planes, and boats. I have seen em' all.  I even tried the "jump out of a plane" with a parachute but broke my ankle in the "wind tunnel simulator" before I ever made it onto the plane in Las Vegas.

Auto racing is one of the greatest sports in the world. It is also one of the most dangerous.

On Friday, Ashley Sara Phalen, 24, of Los Angeles was killed when her vehicle struck the inside wall at a high rate of speed and overturned at about 9:30 a.m. at the Fontana Motor Speedway.

The Mario Andretti Racing Experience Driving 101 Class was the sponsor of the driving course that Phelan was taking part in.

The class teaches the basics. Pit stops, driving the bank turns, safety tactics, breaking, accelerating on the straightaways...all in a tricked out Indy car replica.  It was the first time that a driver was killed at the Fontana Motor Speedway since it opened around a decade ago.

My heart goes out to the family and many friends of Ashley Sara Phalen.

Remember, this is a dangerous sport, be careful.  Life is short and so so precious!  Take caution before you get behind ANY wheel....

QUESTION: Would you take part in one of these courses? 

Hit my comment section below.

RIP
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Robyn said...

These classes can be safe, but frankly I am astonished that non-professionals were allowed to reach speeds up to 160 mph on a track that even most professional drivers believe to be dangerous.

Anonymous said...

Greg Moore was killed in turn 2 at that track on Oct. 31, 1999 during a CART IndyCar event.

Anonymous said...

I've done this experience twice - while they advertise "speeds up to 160 mph", the fastest you can get up to is around 125 ~ 130MPH. While it was the thrill of a lifetime for me, I can state that this is not for everyone - those who are not comfortable at high speeds should definitely think twice - it is physically and mentally demanding. My sympathies to the family; for as much fun as this sport is; it's still risky and dangerous....

Jeff
Chicago