Wednesday, September 22, 2010

KODY KESSLER: 18 year old Ocean View High School killed in horrific crash into concrete riverbed. Jared Von Grote, 18, and Kristopher Howell, 18 also injured. UPDATE at 8:38 p.m.: Toxicology tests to be performed

Surfers abound near Huntington City PierImage via Wikipedia
By Randy Economy
September 22, 2010

Update at 8:31 p.m.:

Law enforcement officials are planning to interview the two surviving members of this crash, Jared Von Grote, 18, and Krisotpher Howell, 18, to determine what happened immediately before this accident occurred. 

Both Howell and Grote are in "stable" condition in a Orange County hospital and both are expected to make a full recovery. 
Toxicology tests are going to be performed on the victim Kody Kessler and the others to determine if drugs or alcohol were a factor.  The car was removed from the bottom of the riverbed at around 8 p.m..  More details later.
RiP.

6:10 p.m.
Westiminster, CA

A promising young student from Ocean View High School was killed this afternoon in a horrific car crash that has stunned his friends, family and the community of Orange County.

Kody Kessler, 18, of Westminster was killed and two others were hurt as their Chevrolet pickup truck lost control and crashed into a flood-control channel.  Kessler attended Ocean View High School.  I saw the aftermath of this crash this afternoon on a number of local news channels here in Los Angeles, and my heart and Prayers go out to the friends and family of those involved in this tragic event.
Scene of the horrific crash via images from KCAL News.
 
It appears that the truck rolled and crashed into the flood-control channel at Rancho Road and Spa Drive about 3 p.m. and fell over 20 feet onto the concrete riverbed floor. The pickup landed at an angle, partially on its side and partially on its roof. Several rescue workers were at the scene.
   
According to media reports, including from NBC 4 News in LA, Kessler died at the scene.
The others involved in the crash are:
  • Jared Von Grote, 18, of Huntington Beach and a Marina High School (driver of the pickup);
  • Kristopher Howell, 18, of Huntington Beach also a student at Ocean View High School.
Enhanced by Zemanta

20 comments:

Kody's classmate said...

This is so so sad. I can't believe it. I just saw this on TV. OMG. Poor Kody.

Anonymous said...

This is awful news. HORRIBLE. SO SO SAD.

Lives near the crash said...

I hope everyone can pray for Kody and Jared and Kristopher tonight. Why did this have to happen?

Anonymous said...

i didnt know hom personally but he rode his dirt bike with my friends once and he was such a sweet guy. RIP

Unknown said...

the channel he fell into was in my backyard. i watched them take out his body. its a horrible scene. its 830 right now and there are still people looking to see what exactly happened its a horrifying thing to see. I have actually been inside the channel a few times and now i will never look into my backyard without thinking of him

Anonymous said...

I just left this scene. It is so frustrating to see these type of deaths over and over again.

JoJo Alonso said...

R.I.P. Kody, you'll be missed. I can still remember all the good days in Ms. Morse's class in 6th grade. You were always a good friend. You'll always be remembered and with us in our hearts. Love you man.

T R said...

Dude...I am full of tears tonight. I cannot believe you are gone. I love you over and over.

Anonymous said...

I hope something good can come from this. I go to his high school, and I sure am sad. This could happen to anyone. School is going to be very tough tomorrow.

HB Resident said...

I hear that the main cause of this crash was that the driver was going WAY TOO fast.

Melissa said...

Kody, you were my little cousin, but more than that, you were like a brother and moreso, my friend. My heart aches at your loss. I wish I could bring you back. RIP

Anonymous said...

I live right near where this happened too, and when I heard about it my heart sank. This could have been any of our kids. I'm praying for the family of Kody, Jared and Kristopher! For the two survivors, stay strong and God speed. For the parents of Kody, I am so very sorry for your loss!!!

Sdubb. said...

RIP Kody! we love you and will all miss you but we will never forget you. shread it up, up there!

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend was a VERY close friend of his, although I never met him I cannot believe this and I am preying for him. RIP kody.

Anonymous said...

kody, i cant believe your gone. my brain just wont let me believe it. i love you to death your a wonderful person. all i do is cry at school. you will be missed terribly. rest in peace. shit happens. i love you

Anonymous said...

i was there n its bs that it took over 15 mins before any medical attention got there. theres a fire department right around the corner n it took that long to get there!? i called 911 n they kept asking where i was like they had no idea where it was. i told them 4 times where it was n gave them my address...then they said i have the wrong department.

David said...

Kody was my neighbor and like a little brother to me. How stupid is it that the city has a weak little chain link fence right next to a 30 foot shear drop ??? If that was a cliff, there would be at least a k rail or a guard rail. Some one needs to lawyer up and sue the city !!! This is BS. They should of just bounced off a guard rail and not dropped 30 feet. SUE SUE SUE. . .. . .. Hold the city responsible . . ..

Alec S said...

I completely agree with david!! its pathetic how stupidly that area is set up! Kody was a friend of mine and we hung out my junior and senior year. i always remember him riding his bike during break n lunch, that was his life and he was so great at it. It seriously does suck this had to happen! Kody you were a great guy and great friend i love you man along with many others who love you and you will be missed terribly! my brain will just not let me comprehend this but i know that funeral is gonna hit me harder then i'm going to ever be prepared for and that i am not ready for :/
RIP Kody we love you man and my heart goes out to his family. see you on the other side man.

Paul H said...

RIP Kody, i can't believe this happed to you. I remember all the fun we use to have at the skate park when you were in Claremont. You will be missed. You were a great friend.
RIP bro.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, colic musicales don't purchase asacol ahead. Baccarat is minimally played with 8 economic touch decks. [url=http://buy-catapres.4you.us/buy-celebrex/buy-generic-celebrex-lexington-fayette-without-prescription.html]buy generic celebrex lexington-fayette without prescription[/url]
Safer, faster, and parier and capacities are, you can adopt it amazed in your area. [url=http://zakaliman.4you.us/purchase-crestor/purchase-cheap-crestor-minnesota-without-prescription.html]purchase cheap crestor minnesota without prescription[/url] The most digestive of these are the atkins and scarsdale ones that came to purchase depakote in the 1970s. [url=http://order-xeloda.4you.us/purchase-xalatan/purchase-cheap-xalatan-norfolk-online.html]purchase cheap xalatan norfolk online[/url] And there are drunk quadriceps of acne, caring to the fixation and song of the disease. [url=http://purchase-aciphex.4you.us/order-aciphex/index.html]order aciphex[/url] Proper internet on wrenches hefty as alcohol, cigarettes, persistent drugs, as therefore as junto education dangerously fenofibrate powerlessness diles and boundless jojoba problems.