Friday, August 20, 2010

WYCLEF JOHN: Tweets his "heavy heart" after being disqualified to run for Haitian Presidency

Wyclef Jean at the 2008 Toronto International ...Image via Wikipedia
Breaking News
By Randy Economy
http://www.economy4abc.blogspot.com/
9:50 p.m. PST

Port Au Prince, Haiti

Tonight, Wyclef John is heartbroken. 

He has been told that he will "not be a candidate" for the Presidency of his homeland of Haiti. 

In these remarkable times of Twitter, and Facebook, and other social networks, John "Tweeted" his supporters  (and that includes me) about his disappointment of Haitian election officials not to allow him to be on the upcoming Presidential ballot.

Here is his "long" tweet that hit around 11 minutes ago....


Keep The Faith -


It is with a heavy heart that I tell you today that the board of elections in Haiti has disqualified me from my run for the presidency of the country. Though I disagree with the ruling, I respectfully accept the committee's final decision, and I urge my supporters to do the same. We must all honor the memories of those we've lost--whether in the earthquake, or at anytime--by responding peacefully and responsibly to this disappointment.

I was inspired to run for president because I know Haiti can become great with the right leadership, and I believe I could be that leader; but, ultimately, we must respect the rule of law in order for our island to become the great nation we all aspire for it to be.

I want to assure my countrymen that I will continue to work for Haiti's renewal; though the board has determined that I am not a resident of Haiti, home is where the heart is--and my heart has and will always be in Haiti. This ruling just tells me that I can't officially seek the office of president. More importantly, there is no one who can tell me to stop my work in Haiti, and there is no one who could. I think of my daughter, Angelina, and it makes me want to redouble my efforts to help give all the children in Haiti better days.

I also want to honor the memory of my father, a minister; I know that he would tell me that even though I've faced a setback, I must continue in all my good-faith efforts to help Haiti turn a corner to a better and brighter future. Do not think that my role in the future of Haiti is over; it's just a different role than I had anticipated it to be.

Rest assured, this isn't the end of my efforts to help improve my beloved country but only marks a new beginning.

Signed,
Wyclef Jean


Amen, Wyclef.  Well said.  You will be back.  Stick to it. The Road to Democracy is hard and long and tough.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: