Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday: Kingston. Here with Fr. Gregory Ramkissoon....

Kingston, JAMAICA:
July 13, 2010
By RANDY ECONOMY

For the past two days, I have been staying with the most amazing, smart, talented and compassionate group of teens from the Boston/Rhode Island area at a home of disabled children called Sophie's Place in Gordon Town .

Sohpie's Place is located in a rural wooded hilly area of Kingston....around 35 minutes from the Kingston Airport, and more than 20 profoundly handicapped children call this place their "home."

It is beyond words to see the love and compassion these children have in their eyes and hearts.
I have connected with this group.  We are now apart of each other's world.

Laura Daugherty and Kathy Relagado from Mustard Seed USA have been remarkable. They have been beyond words....true heroes....

Due to the recent violence in Kingston, my trip was delayed for nearly 2 month.  I am one of the first Americans allowed into this country since this ban was lifted....and so far...I have been welcomed with the most amazing open arms I could have ever dreamed.

Today  I arrived at 9 a.m. here at MY FATHERS HOUSE, AND WENT TO MORNING DEVOTIONAL WITH FR. GREGORY outdoors in the 98 degree super humid heat.  Next we celebrated Mass with Fr. Matthew Glover from Bawstan (that place in MASS...the state..)

This neighborhood has the poorest of the poor living here. We are located next door to the Jamaican City Dump. My Father’s House is a fortress in a concrete jungle. Barbed wire fences surround this neighborhood but I have never felt more safe and more at home in my life.
I have decided to extent this first "working" trip for at least 10 additional days...

I will probably end up being here for this trip a total of 16 to 19 days....give or take a few time zones, and will fly back to LA with Fr. Gregory as he visits parishes in Southern California.

Tonight:  Heading to Kingston University to speak to a group of Journalism students with Fr. Gregory about my "life experiences" and how important it is to follow your heart and dream the impossible.

I am heading back to Gordon Town for the night to be with Fr. Matthew Glover and the group there and will be heading all over this amazing island for the next 2 weeks.

See u mahn....

No comments: