Monday, May 10, 2010

JOSEPH MERCADO: Charged with Capital Murder for Rampage on Devlin Avenue in Hawaiian Gardens last week.

Breaking News
By Randy Economy
www.Economy4ABC.Blogspot.com
May 10, 2010
2 p.m.

BELLFLOWER –


Joseph Mercado could be facing the California Death Chamber for his role in last weeks brutal massacre of the Tarin Family here in Hawaiian Gardens.

The 26-year-old Mercado, a resident of Montebello was formally charged today with capital murder in Thursday’s attack at his ex-girlfriend’s Hawaiian Gardens home that left three people dead and two people seriously injured, and left an entire community in sadness and anger.

Mercado, who was born on November 23, 1983 was arraigned this afternoon at Bellflower Superior Court, Department 3.

He was charged with three counts of murder with the special circumstance of multiple murders, which could make him eligible for the death penalty, said Deputy District Attorneys Robert Villa and Frank Dunnick.

In addition, Mercado was charged with two counts of attempted murder, shooting at an inhabited dwelling, assault on a peace officer with an assault weapon, arson of an inhabited structure, child abuse and first-degree burglary with the special allegation that he personally used a firearm.

Early Thursday, Mercado allegedly broke into his ex-girlfriend’s home in the 2100 block of Devlin Avenue and opened fire with an AK-47 rifle. Fatally wounded were Serena Tarin, the mother of Mercado's infant son, and her brother Alfredo Tarin, Jr. and their father, Alfredo Tarin Sr. Two others wounded includ Lucy Tarin, the wife and mother of the victims, and one other family member remain in a local hospital in critical condition.

Mercado allegedly tried to set the home on fire, but failed. Mercado was shot by a sheriff's deputy as he emerged from the house before 4 a.m. Thursday. He was treated and placed under arrest. He is being held without bail.  Prosecutors will decide at a later date whether to seek the death penalty.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really sad to see someone that had so much love give lose it all in one bad choice. I knew Joseph and it saddens me to see this.

Anonymous said...

I knew joseph we grew upp together he was like my older bro ,he got me into basketball and showed me a lot of love and positivity to my life, Even after all these years I look back in this and can't believe it till this day smh. He was a good hearted person believed in god ,so I know the devil took him over momentarily, it wasn't him who did it it was the devil.I'm so sorry to those that were lost it isn't far,this was a mistake and wasn't supposed to happen, even tho he can't take it back I no for a fact he would if he could.I love you bro and I'm so sorry I wish I was home to talk to u the day before u did this I know things would have been different.

Anonymous said...

Joseph was a very great person. I knew him since the 7th grade. And 100% agree with you. That was not Joseph. Very sad situation.