Thursday, November 27, 2014

Quincy Jones: Running into 'Q' on the Red Carpet was a real life 'Bucket List' Moment

With Quincy Jones last week at the Biltmore Hotel,
Let's see. I can now take "Meet Quincy Jones on a Red Carpet" off my official Bucket List.

Do people still have "Bucket Lists?" 

I really don't have a Bucket List, but I think I will start one...just in case. Being an Investigative Journalist whose work has ACTUALLY sent several politicians to jail, and other shady folks around Southern California does have it's risks, if you know what I mean. It also has it's totally cool aspects as well.

Case in point. Last Sunday night I was a finalist in the News category for the 2014 Seventh Annual National Arts and Entertainment Awards held at the Biltmore Hotel.

On the "Red Carpet" with my pal Robert Kovacik from NBC LA and the Q.
An article that was co-wrote by my previous newspaper publisher and myself was selected as a "finalist" against amazing work from colleagues at the Hollywood Reporter, and Los Angeles Times. Our entry did not win, but it was an honor just to be "in the mix" with some of the best journalists in America in this years competition.

I love a good Red Carpet. I totally loved this one since I found myself face to face, and arm over arm with the iconic Quincy Jones. The Q. Are you kidding me?  This is a "Bucket List Bonus Item" that just "popped up" and landed on my lap.

Quincy Jones was kind. Asked me "how did you lose your right eye," pointing to my signature "pirate patch." With cameras clicking away, I got close to his ear and whispered, "I got into a nasty fight was a corrupt politician in Southern California and well, I ended up loosing my eyesight in this eye." 

"Really," Quincy responded.

Awe, not so much. I told "Q,"  (we are now on a first initial basis) the truth that I lost the vision in my right eye due to a very rare medical condition.  It was incredible. A real life moment that I will not soon forget.

with Reporter Patt Morrison.
Also had a great time visiting with reporter Gene Maddaus with the LA Weekly as well as with the iconic Patt Morrison, and yes, Patt's hat was another signature statement piece with some of the most amazing feathers you could ever imagine.

I also want to congratulate journalist Josh Peeples with The Advocate for being named Journalist of the Year.

 More about Quincy Jones: Mr. Jones will accept the Visionary Award at a gala celebration on November 23 at the Biltmore Hotel, downtown Los Angeles.
The Visionary Award was instituted two years ago to honor an individual within the Entertainment Industry who uses their high-profile status to make the world a better place and to spread information about issues of freedom and importance.  

Related articles

No comments: