Thursday, November 04, 2010

Remembering SYDNEY RAMIREZ: Car wash, fundraisers planned for this Sunday for fallen John F. Kennedy High School student. Eyewitness News also reports on tragedy.

WABC-TV's Eyewitness News at 11 p.m. open, 200...Image via Wikipedia
The Irish of JFK High School are sad today...
By Randy Economy
www.Economy4ABC.Blogspot.com
November 4, 2010
9:21 p.m.

La Palma, CA

The community is showing a tremendous outpouring of love and support for the family of Sydney Ramirez, the vivacious 16-year old student from John F. Kennedy High School who died from injuries of a tragic pedestrian accident early Thursday morning.

The accident took place at around 6:45 a.m. on Monday morning, while students where walking to school to arrive at 1st Period.

A memorial car wash fundraiser in memory of Sydney Ramirez of Cypress will be held this Sunday, November 7, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the John F. Kennedy High School parking lot, 8281 Walker Street, in La Palma.

Additionally, donations will be taken for the family at the La Palma Pageant on Sunday, November 7, 2010, at 5:00 p.m. The pageant will be held at the John F. Kennedy High School Performing Arts Center, 8281 Walker Street, La Palma.



I went by JFK HS this afternoon and was touched to see so many of Sydney's friends and family, community members and television trucks standing at the intersection where her life ended by holding up signs telling motorists to "be careful' and to "slow down" and "remembering Sydney!" and "Syd...we will always LOVE U!"

I also wanted to post this about news report from Eyewitness News reporter Eileen Frere here in Los Angeles.
Be safe everyone....
Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I graduated from JFK in 1985. A girl was hit in that same crosswalk in 1983-84 school year and nearly died. I am surprised that it is still a paint-only crosswalk while other cities go to highly visible ground & above ground LED-lit crosswalks that are difficult to miss.

Anonymous said...

She was the sweetest girl I have EVER met! Thank GOD I had to honor of having her in our LIVES!

JFK High School Class of 2011 said...

Why did this precious gift from God have to be taken from us? Words cannot express my sorrow.

Anonymous said...

I will always remember her smile and laugh and love for people.

Dad in La Palma said...

I hope her family is doing well. I live near Kennedy High School, and this has really shaken up our entire community.

Unknown said...

i am in freshman ... 2010 and i saw the accident front of my eyes when i was in marching band 0 period.

Anonymous said...

I live in that neighborhood where Sydney got hit. I graduated from JFK in 1981. Years ago, I spoke with a Cypress Councilman (Crescent Avenue is the dividing line between Cypress and La Palma. (Sydney was hit on the Cypress side.) It's up to both Cypress and La Palma to make improvements, such as a light; yes, both cities must have input to make this intersection safer.

Unknown said...

In 2008 I contacted the City of La Palma via email to have this crosswalk made safer. Since, I have emailed them several times, made several phone calls, and in January 2010 my son & I spoke to the City of La Palma Traffic Committee about all the near misses we witness on a daily basis in that crosswalk. I myself almost hit someone and I took it as a sign to try and do something about it. I have suggested a signal, above ground lighting, and a crossing guard. It is a tragedy that this had to happen. It was just a matter of "when" it would happen not "if"! I only hope and pray that improvements will be made in her honor. She is an Angel who will forever protect the kids that use that crosswalk. I am sure of that. God bless her family and friends. My prayers go out to the driver too. May Cypress and La Palma get their act together and get this FIXED ASAP! It should not have happened!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Randy, you have not been seen since the news media came out. Would you like me to call 7 news again and you will come out again?

Randy Economy said...

Yes to the above message. Call me on my cell phone at 562 743 0882. I CAN TOTALLY HELP! hugs....randy