Monday, November 22, 2010

9:12 p.m. update Tuesday: POPULAR PALOS VERDES REALTOR CHUCK CHAMBERS, RUSSELL URBAN, and SEAN KELLY ided as those killed on board that small plane crash in Newport Beach Back Bay. Feel free to share your thoughts, memories...

The Newport Center Skyline in Newport Beach, C...Image via WikipediaBy Randy Economy
www.Economy4ABC.Blogspot.com
November 22, 2010

UPDATED AT 2:52 p.m.

THE Federal Aviation Administration  is now launching a formal investigation into what caused this crash that claimed the lives of Chuck Chambers, Russell Urban, and Sean Kelly.

I would like to extend my thoughts and Prayers to those who knew these three men.  If you have a special thought or memory, please feel free to share it here with our community.

I have lost many friends in the past due to these type of plane accidents, including my longtime friend Peter Tomarken and his wife Kathleen to whom I work with at Sony's Television's Game Show Network back in the 1990's. The Tomarken's were  killed when their  Beechcraft Bonanza A36, N16JR, crashed a few hundred feet off shore in Santa Monica Bay during climb-out from the Santa Monica Airport in California on the morning of March 13, 2006.  These planes are normally pretty safe.  So sad.


Newport Beach, CA
Monday, November 22, at Noon


Photo of Chuck Chambers.
We now know the names of the three men who were killed in that small plane that crashed in the Newport Beach Back Bay on Sunday night.  One of the victims was  popular Palos Verdes Realtor Chuck Chambers. 

The two others who died are Russell Urban (date of birth listed as May 24, 1947) and Sean Kelly, of Hermosa Beach, (date of birth listed as March 1, 1966.

One of Chuck's longtime friends is Jim McMahon, a Realtor here in Cerritos.  Jim dropped me a note a couple of minutes ago sharing his fond memories of Chuck back in the 1970's when they sold real estate together.

"I remember doing countless of Open Houses with Chuck Chambers and myself and seeing him on Billboards on Hawthorne Blvd, above Hillside Village Center. We were both just starting our careers back then," Jim McMahon told me.

"Chuck and I were around the same age. If I recall, the last  Open House we had was over on Rocky Point, a one story  ranch, that was painted yellow, in Lunada Bay in Palos Verdes Estate.  I will miss Chuck," Jim told me.

Mr. Chambers was an "icon" in the South Bay business community.  He was a member of several real estate associations.

His popular home web site www.ChuckChambers.com was a constant "tool" for people interested in the latest tips on how to buy and sell properties.

Here is an official statement from the Newport Beach Police Department.

NEWPORT BEACH, CA – On Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 5:46 pm, Newport Beach firefighters responded to a plane crash in the Back Bay of Newport Beach.  Three individuals are confirmed dead in this incident.

At 5:46pm firefighters received a call to the Back Bay area, off of Back Bay Drive and San Joaquin Hills Road, to a plane down.  Just before the call came in, a firefighter observed a small plane in distress flying approximately 50 feet over the Fashion Island Fire Station.   Firefighters quickly responded to the area and found a small single engine plane upside down in the Back Bay.  Firefighters and police officers immediately jumped into the muddy water in an attempt to rescue any individuals on the plane.  They found three individuals aboard the plane, who were sadly deceased.  The identity of these individuals is still unknown and will be determined by the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner Department.

Numerous fire apparatus responded to this incident with twenty-five firefighters from Newport Beach and Orange County Fire Authority as well as Newport Beach Police Officers.

The cause of the plane crash is under investigation by the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board.

If you have a thought, or a special memory of Chuck, Russell or Sean, please feel free to post them in my comment section.  My HEART and PRAYERS are with all those who knew them, and loved them the most in life!
RIP


Enhanced by Zemanta

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chuck Chambers was a great guy. So sad this happened.

Just a Friend said...

I cannot get my "arms" around this. How could this happen? I am totally upset that these three men got killed. RIP, guys!

Bought home from Chuck said...

I bought my first house from Chuck. He will indeed be missed.

Peter in PV said...

As soon as I saw the photo of the plane on the news, I KNEW it had to be CHUCK. Now this news has really made me think about how short life really is. RIP MY FRIEND!

Anonymous said...

SH*T. Russ was my friend. How could this occur? Did they run out of gas?

Anonymous said...

Chuck Chambers was a very nice man, always happy and friendly. My prayers go to his family. --Patricia

Maureen Megowan said...

I have raised 3 boys here in Palos Verdes Estates, the oldest is 27 and the youngest 21, and they all had the wonderful luck to have had Russ Urban as their 3rd grade teacher. Russ was one of the kindest men I have ever known, and had an incredible knack of inspiring young people to do their best, and to have fun doing it. All the kids wanted Russ as a teacher, because they heard that he gave out jolly rancher candy as a reward for doing well. Russ had an impact on all three of my children, and he was one of their most memorable and loved teachers.

Maureen Megowan said...

Chuck Chambers was an extremely well respected real estate agent on the Palos Verdes Peninsula for over 30 years, and I had the pleasure of knowing him as well as working with him. He was a lovely man and a joy to work with.

Both Russ and Chuck believed in giving back to those less fortunate. Russ would collect unused candy from Halloween and used sports equiptment and other donations from his students and with Chuck would make an annual trip to Tiajuana to brighten the smile of someone less fortunate than our children.

Anonymous said...

Chuck not only left behind a wonderful wife and daughter, but a sister, and two nieces who loved him more than words can say.
Please do keep us all in your prayers.

Anonymous said...

Sean Kelly was a great friend of mine. We went to U. of Illinois together. He always had a smile on his face and I can't ever remember seeing him down. He ways always upbeat and had that gleam or twinkle in his eye. He was the starting cornerback on his State Championship football team in Glen Ellyn, Illinois. I attended the game without knowing Sean. I remember watching this kid flying around the field with so much energy on a cold and windy day at Dyke Stadium in Evanston. It was an honor to have met Sean on the field on such an exciting day for him and his teammates. Sean ended up at U. of Illinois where I got to know him better. Even though our lives had not crossed paths in the last few years, I am very sad knowing that Sean is no longer making people smile. My condolences to Sean's family and the families of the other fine men who passed with him.

Sad Beyond Thoughts said...

These are all beautiful and touching thoughts about three amazing and kind and wonderful men who are irreplaceable. Thanks everyone for your love and compassion. I hope something good can come from this. Maybe we should put our heads together to see if we can come up with a scholarship fund for up and coming pilots or something positive. I will miss Chuck and Sean.

Anonymous said...

Such a tragic loss. My family is very upset about this crash. Keep your hearts open for lots of love...because in the end....that is ALL we HAVE...LOVE...

Anonymous said...

Mr. Urban was my 3rd grade teacher. I am now a senior in high school. he has touched the lives of so many and was so inspirational. he will be missed deeply. he will remain in our hearts. i can speak for every student he has had when saying he was probably the best teacher i have ever had. I've been lucky enough to have stayed in touch with him and am heartbroken and in complete shock over his untimely death. rest in peace Mr. Urban. everyone loves you <3

Anonymous said...

i will never forget the jolly rancehrs mr. urban passed out in class and his funny stories he'd tell us. he was the most popular teacher at my elementary school. he was so good with kids. its hard to believe such a wonderful man can leave this earth so quickly. mr. urban i miss you so much and im in complete shock. it makes me cry even thinking about everything. from the cornerstone class of 2004 we love you sooo muchhh

Anonymous said...

I knew Chuck and I am very very distressed by all of their deaths... I wish the best to their families and RIP to you gentlemen ...

Anonymous said...

Mr. Urban was my 3rd grade teacher in 1990. 20 years later, I still think of him fondly. Mr. Urban, you were a blessing to anyone who was fortunate enough to have known you. Thank you for all those Jolly Ranchers and for giving so many of us the opportunity to have known you. You are forever missed. Rest in Peace.

Anonymous said...

I volunteered with Sean for many years, working with teens at our church. He really connected with the young men and was passionate about helping them make good choices. He encouraged service and volunteerism, and used actions to set the example. This past March he shaved his head for children with cancer. As I read about Chuck and Russ I can see that all three were the best of men and represent a great loss for their communities. Prayers to everyone touched by their giving hearts.

Anonymous said...

I have known Mr. Chambers since i was in pre school he was a great man and an inspiration to us all. Chuck had a big heart and was always helping those less fortunate, I had the opportunity to travel with him down to T.J one year and will always carry those memories.
Although Mr. Urban was no my 3rd grade teacher he was always around and very helpful in my class room. He was a great man and i always recall a smile on his face.
My thoughts and prayers are with the families, you guys will be greatly missed<3

Randy Economy said...

Does ANYONE HAVE the information about FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS for THESE THREE MEN?

Anonymous said...

I loved Russell Urban. What an amazing and inspirational person. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Chuck Chambers was a great guy. He will be missed. Thanks for all your help over the years

Lynn from Country Hills said...

I will miss the "Country Hills Real Estate Update" by Chuck Chambers that he sends out every month or so. It'll just be sitting infront of my door one morning when I see it. I retained the August 2010 that included info re "Country Hills Fun Facts" and posted it in my work station's wall up to now. He will be greatly missed. Our prayers are with Chuck, may he rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

О! شكرا لك ، عمل لطيف! وكانت هذه الاشياء كان لي لديك.

Unknown said...

In Memoriam: Russell Urban

Russ Urban was my very close friend ever since with both moved into the house Alice Leonard owned on 307 El Porto Street at El Porto, in 1974
Our friendship never dulled, our bi-monthly BB Q's were the norm
He was an optimistic, cheerful, smart, erudite American, proud of being a successful and much admired teacher.
I am shocked and upset all the more, as I became aware of his horrendous accident just yesterday, April 11Th 2011,
having tried calling and e-mailing him since Christmas of 2010.
My thoughts and condolences go out to his mom and dad and his sister Judy.
"Russ, you were a hail fellow well met.As long as I am living, you will always be foremost on my mind and in heart".
We shall meet again some day, I am certain.
Love and friendship forever.
Your buddy
Dietrich Hartmann

Unknown said...

In Memoriam: Russell Urban

Russ Urban was my very close friend ever since with both moved into the house Alice Leonard owned on 307 El Porto Street at El Porto, in 1974
Our friendship never dulled, our bi-monthly BB Q's were the norm
He was an optimistic, cheerful, smart, erudite American, proud of being a successful and much admired teacher.
I am shocked and upset all the more, as I became aware of his horrendous accident just yesterday, April 11Th 2011,
having tried calling and e-mailing him since Christmas of 2010.
My thoughts and condolences go out to his mom and dad and his sister Judy.
"Russ, you were a hail fellow well met.As long as I am living, you will always be foremost on my mind and in heart".
We shall meet again some day, I am certain.
Love and friendship forever.
Your buddy
Dietrich Hartmann

Unknown said...

In Memoriam: Russell Urban

Russ Urban was my very close friend ever since with both moved into the house Alice Leonard owned on 307 El Porto Street at El Porto, in 1974
Our friendship never dulled, our bi-monthly BB Q's were the norm
He was an optimistic, cheerful, smart, erudite American, proud of being a successful and much admired teacher.
I am shocked and upset all the more, as I became aware of his horrendous accident just yesterday, April 11Th 2011,
having tried calling and e-mailing him since Christmas of 2010.
My thoughts and condolences go out to his mom and dad and his sister Judy.
"Russ, you were a hail fellow well met.As long as I am living, you will always be foremost on my mind and in heart".
We shall meet again some day, I am certain.
Love and friendship forever.
Your buddy
Dietrich Hartmann