|Image by smi23le via Flickr|
|Looking down onto San Bruno from the air.|
By Randy Economy
September 10, 2010
Here is the latest from the horrific scene in San Bruno, California at 12:13 a.m.
- 53 Homes have been destroyed
- 123 Homes have been badly damaged
- Dozens are injured. Four hospitals are currently seeing victims.
- Three are feared dead
- One is confirmed dead
- Residents who live in the area are being asked to call (650) 616 7180 to "check in" to say that you are okay and to let officials know of your whereabouts.
- The utility company that serves the San Francisco Bay area said one of its gas lines ruptured in the vicinity of the blast, which left a giant crater and sent flames tearing across several suburban blocks in San Bruno just after 6 p.m.
- The fire had spread to 10 acres and was 50 percent contained at Midnight.
- Between 150 and 200 firefighters are still at the scene
- More than 100 people were being sheltered at nearby evacuation centers
- Fog is beginning to drift into the Bay Area and so this will provide Fire Fighters with a great source of relief of dry hot windy weather from earlier this evening.
- Several new videos from people in this San Bruno neighborhood are beginning to hit You Tube.
- Footage from the center of the San Bruno hills fire from John Hampton at www.yummeo.net
- Kaiser Permanente Hospital in South San Francisco is being used to treat those injured. Several have been taken there.