Thursday, December 10, 2009

Democratic Caucus Votes to Support John A. Pérez as Next Speaker of California Assembly. Rival Kevin De Leon compares him as a modern-day "Rosa Parks." Are you kidding me?


By: Randy Economy

SACRAMENTO – Today the Assembly Democratic Caucus voted unanimously to support openly gay Assemblymember John A. Pérez (D-Los Angeles) to serve as the next Speaker. 

His main rival Assemblyman Kevin De Leon compared Perez to a modern day "Rosa Parks." 

Are you kidding me? Rosa Parks?  Isn't that a tad over blown?

A floor vote is expected when the Assembly reconvenes in January.


“Today, I was proud to stand and nominate my friend and colleague John Pérez to serve as Speaker of the California Assembly. I did so deeply thankful for the strong support and encouragement I have received from members of our caucus, and also mindful of the example of one of the great inspirations of my life and many others--Rosa Parks. Mrs. Parks showed us you didn’t have to have a particular office or title to effect great change. I am proud to be a member of the California State Assembly and I will continue working hard, with my colleagues and with Speaker Pérez, to bring about real change for the people of my district and all the people of California.”

After the caucus vote Assembly Speaker Karen Bass (D-Los Angeles) issued the following statement:  “The Assembly Democratic caucus has made me proud many times in the past 18 months and today is one of those times. First by the high caliber of the Speaker candidates we had, especially the final two, John Pérez and Kevin de León, and second by the strength our caucus has shown in coming together and uniting behind one of those candidates, the next Speaker of the Assembly, John Pérez. Under his leadership and the continued leadership of Assemblymember De León and his supporters I look forward to another year of being made proud by my colleagues as we work to improve the quality of life for the people of California.”


Assemblymember John A. Pérez thanked his Assembly colleagues for the honor:  “I want to thank the Members of the Assembly Democratic Caucus for the faith they have placed in me. It is a humbling privilege. I will work every day to justify that faith and to earn the enormous honor of having been drafted to serve as Speaker. The other candidates for Speaker, especially Assemblymember Kevin de León, have all shown great leadership for the Assembly and for this state and they have my great respect. As Speaker, I will look forward to working with a united Democratic caucus as we continue tackling our number one priority—helping the state recover from the recession and helping the California families who have been hit so hard by it.”

I think it is a tad crazy to call the selection of Mr. Perez as Speaker to civil rights legend Rosa Parks.  Why do politicians get so crazy when it comes to partisian political fights like these?

No comments: