Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Anthony Craig Chambers Charged with Shotgun Murder of MTA Bus Driver Alan Thomas

BEVERLY HILLS – A 41-year-old man who, after boarding a bus on Sunday morning, allegedly killed a Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus driver was charged today with special circumstance murder, the District Attorney’s Office announced. Deputy District Attorney Keri Modder of the Airport Branch Office said Anthony Craig Chambers (dob 10/29/70) is charged with one count of murder with the special circumstance allegations of lying in wait and murder of transportation personnel. The criminal complaint also includes a special allegation of personal use of a firearm. Chambers is expected to be arraigned today after 1:30 p.m. at Beverly Hills Superior Court. The defendant is charged in case No. SA080850. Victim Alan Thomas was driving on Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood when Chambers boarded the bus just after 9 a.m. Shortly after boarding, the defendant allegedly drew a shotgun from a suitcase, approached the victim and shot him
 twice. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies arrested Chambers at the scene within minutes of the shooting. The defendant is being held without bail. A decision on whether to seek the death penalty will be made by prosecutors at a later date.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Riding the bus in L.A. sucks because I ride with criminals, hustlers, crazy people people who desperately need their medication. But that's all I have right now, and I'm barely hanging on as it is.

Without the bus, I wouldn't be able to get anywhere.

All this time I've been telling myself, "stay in the safe neighborhoods" but I thought my neighborhood was very safe and this happened blocks from my house, on a street I walk daily, on a bus route that was diverted that day due to the bike race but normally that bus route comes right by my house. I wonder why someone would pack a shotgun and another gun into a briefcase and then use it on the driver, of all people. The driver probably let his murderer on for free, as I see many drivers do not hassle people if they don't have the money. I thought the time the guy smoking craxk on the #2 bus was bad but this is just such a terrible tragedy. I can't get over it.