Saturday, April 23, 2011

BREAKING: VONS SUPERMARKET BIG RIG SLAMS INTO CENTER DIVIDER AND EXPLODES INTO FLAMES. 5 FREEWAY at NORWALK BOULEVARD closed down for hours. Driver arrested. SEND ME YOUR PICS AND VIDEO!


Thanks to my reader Agi Cortez for sending me this photo of the burnt out Vons Truck on the 5 Fwy.
Santa Ana FreewayImage via Wikipedia

Vons Grocery Truck Crashes On 5 Freeway In Norwalk!


By Randy Economy
www.Economy4ABC.Blogspot.com
Saturday, April 23, 2011
4:47 p.m.

Norwalk, CA

California Highway PatrolImage via WikipediaThe notorious Santa Ana Freeway (Interstate 5) was a virtual parking lot for hours today after a Von's Supermarket big rig literally exploded going south bound near the Norwalk Boulevard/Civic Center Drive off ramp.

The accident was reported at 9:58 a.m.

What a mess.  I HATE this part of the 5 FREEWAY. It is a TOTAL nightmare for GENERATIONS.  I live around 3 miles from this accident site.  Lots of media helicopters. Residential traffic in Norwalk and Cerritos and Santa Fe Springs during this "shutdown" clogged our area all day long.


I want ANYONE who has video or photos from the accident site to send me a copy for my blog. Email to economy4abc.blogspot.com@gmail.com.Make sure you give me your name so I can give you proper credit.

According to information I obtained from the California Highway Patrol, the "sigalert" for the south bound 5 was lifted around an hour ago (3:30 p.m.ish).

Earlier the entire freeway was closed after the big rig ran into the center divider and literally "blew up." The charred remains of the truck are still being cleaned up and hauled off as I write this blog posting. Reports have been confirmed that the driver has been arrested for "driving under the influence."

This trucker is lucky to be alive.  As soon as his name is released, and bail details posted, I will update this post.

Where you on the 5 Freeway today? Hit my comment section below. Be safe the Easter Weekend. Don't drink and drive....PERIOD.  Don't be stupid.
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Kyle Baird said...

I was in my Ford Explorer, and if we where at least 3 seconds faster we would of got hit by the ball of flames.

Norwalk Gal said...

Earlier this morning while I was at St Linus, the truck explodes. I thought my house was up in flames. I had to run home and check on it. Now, 12 hours later in nearly the exact spot, the helicopters are circling around looking for someone. Police are everywhere on. What the heck is going on?

Randy Economy said...

Kyle...
Did you happen to get any photos?

Anonymous said...

One of the customers at the salon said she heard it, and that ash from the explosion fell into her neighborhood.

CM said...

On the 605/5n when it happened around 930ish..came back from Pearlossom/Palmdale after 3pm & still traffic jam..so sad:(