Thursday, March 03, 2011

Treauna Turner: Wheelchair-bound Woman Sentenced in Stabbing Murder of Dorsey High School Athlete Yolanda Kennard

Dorsey High SchoolImage via Wikipedia
Dorsey High School in Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES A 32-year-old woman confined to a wheelchair was sentenced today to 16 years to life in state prison for the 2009 fatal stabYobing of a high school basketball player.

Deputy District Attorney Elan S. Carr, who prosecuted the case, said Treauna Turner was convicted on Dec. 8, 2010 of the second-degree murder of 16-year-old Yolanda Kennard, a rising basketball star at Dorsey High School in Los Angeles.

Jurors, who deliberated for three and a half days, also found true the allegation that Turner personally used a deadly weapon, a knife, to commit the crime.

During the afternoon of April 15, 2009, Turner, a paraplegic, approached Kennard near the corner of Buckingham Road and Santa Rosalia Drive in Los Angeles.

Turner was accompanied by three other women including her mother, co-defendant Pamela Johnson. Kennard was in the company of several family members and a number of acquaintances.

When Turner reached Kennard, Turner drew a knife that she had secreted in her wheelchair and fatally stabbed Kennard in the chest. Kennard was pronounced dead less than an hour later.

On the morning of the murder, Turner had threatened to kill members of Kennard’s family. Evidence presented at trial revealed that Kennard’s mother and Turner were rivals over the affection of
the same man.

“Treauna Turner’s jealous rage grew over a period of days before the crime,” the prosecutor said. “On that fateful morning, she threatened to commit murder upon the Kennard family and, only a few hours later, she did exactly what she threatened to do, ending the promising life of an innocent girl who had done nothing to her.”

Co-defendant Johnson, the defendant’s mother, was acquitted of assaulting the victim’s mother in the minutes following the stabbing.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bre Clay Los Angeles Ca
thats not how the situation heppened. I am the daughter of the woman who stabbed yolanda. yolanda was mad that me and her sister got into a fight and she was intentionally looking for me and i was 14 at the time her older sister who was grown came to my house to fight. she told yalonda and they were looking for me but instead cought my mother. if they would have cought me after school i probably would have been dead. yalonda was a drug dealer user and a gang member. when people talk about the kennard family, its nothing positive. the only thing positive thing that kennard did was play basket ball. my mom defended herself. yolanda approached my mother and her mother told her to attack my mother. from there the rumble began. i went to dorsey high and its nothing but gang members there and i would be scared to walk home. my gandmother got found not guilty because they were defending there selves, but because the gang member was young gives her a right to attack a paralyzed woman who couldnt walk. i wish they got me instead of my mother because my mother was a wounderful mother and now we have to apart because she had to defend herself. maybe it would have played out diffrent if i wasnt doing my homework and went to walk to the store instead of yalonda getting murdered it would have been me. it was never over a man!

Anonymous said...

Liar...ur mom knew better

Anonymous said...

Your mother knew better she took my sister and still today I miss my sister it hurts me to know my sister is gone I love you yo yo and god bless us all!!