Saturday, June 05, 2010

UCLA Coach John Wooden: Remembering the "Wizard of Westwood," and recalling a great interview between my old pal Roger Lodge and the American icon!

John Wooden at a ceremony on Oct. 14, the coac...Image via Wikipedia
Listen to Roger Lodge and Coach John Wooden

By Randy Economy
http://www.economy4abc.blogspot.com/
June 5, 2010
12:01 a.m.

Westwood, CA

Tonight, the world is remembering the life and legacy of UCLA Basketball Coach John Wooden, who passed away tonight at the age of 99.

The passing of Coach Wooden is like having a grandfather or favorite uncle die. 

Everyone loved Coach Wooden, and he touched millions upon millions of people all over the world and here in his adopted "hometown" of Los Angeles.

I was born into the "UCLA" way of life here in Southern California.  Yep.  You are either a Bruin or a USC Trojan here in LA.  My late father Dick Economy said I was going to have to be a "Bruin Fan" as early as I could walk.   I choose wisely.  I bleed Bruin baby blue.

Generation after generation grew up with Coach Wooden here in Los Angeles.  Tonight many tributes are being played on television and on the Internet and on the radio.


One of the last great interviews given by Coach Wooden, just a couple of years ago, was conducted by my longtime childhood friend Roger Lodge.

Roger Lodge, as many of you know, is the host of the wildly popular "Sports Lodge" heard throughout Southern California on AM830 and on KTLA Morning News each and every weekday morning.

(BTW....Roger was one of my best pals when we both attended and graduated from Cerritos High School in the Class of 1978. Opps. Sorry Rog. I hope I didn't blow your cover....lol.   Anyway...GREAT INTERVIEW by Roger!)

Enjoy the wonderment of this amazing man.  Celebrate his life!

RIP!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Cerritos loves Wooden said...

Wow. GREAT INTERVIEW by our FORMER CERRITOS HIGH SCHOOL PAL ROGER LODGE! RIP COACH!