Monday, May 24, 2010

Breaking News: Jamaica is under seige. My trip of a "lifetime" is a dream that will have to wait for a while. Pray for Peace in Kingston!



By Randy Economy
www.Economy4ABC.Blogspot.com
May 24, 2010
9:30 p.m.

Praying for Jamaica...

Tonight I want to share my thoughts about the unrest and violence that is turning Kingston, Jamaica into a literal war zone, and how this is "hitting" close to home with me and many of my close friends.

I was scheduled to leave for Kingston on June 23rd to begin work documenting the life story of one of the most special men and organizations on this planet.... the Very Reverend Monsignor Gregory Ramkissoon and the Mustard Seed Communities Family.

"Father Gregory,"  as he is known by many around the world, is the Founder of the Mustard Seed Communities, a Catholic charity that is dedicated to helping save the lives of babies and young people who are suffering from HIV/AIDS and who are abandoned due to their health condition.



Thousands of people from all over the world have dedicated themselves to help Father Gregory and the Mustard Seed Communities save lives of those who have been "discounted" in society.

I met Father Gregory more than three years ago, when I began my journey to become a Catholic. My pastor Fr. Tony Gomez at St. Linus Catholic Church is the leader of the MSC here in the Western United States.

When I met Father Gregory, and Father Tony, my life totally changed.

Not in a small way, but in every way!

I remember telling Father Gregory aorund two years ago in my living room here in Cerritos (after one of the best dinners ever)  that "someone" should tell his "life story" to the world.

That "someone" I had in the back of my mind was me, and this project would be the biggest honor of my lifetime.

Fast forward to today.  My departure date to Kingston was set for June 23rd. 

Then the violence broke out, and tonight all of Kingston is the center of a violent drug war.  The images are hard to watch.  Army tanks, helicopters, raging fires,  gun fights, and a state of emergency has been declared.

So, this unrest and violence is hitting "home" tonight.  My trip has been put "on hold" until things "calm" down and when and only when it will be safe to travel to Jamaica. 

Remember, these words from
Fr. Gregory tonight:

"Negative emotions always appear to accompany hardship in the form of frustration, despair, fear, and doubt. Individuals ruled by these emotions often make poor choices. This is why I am recommending that you decide RIGHT NOW to respond to troubled times with praise and THANKSGIVING!!!

My friend, even in the darkest hours, worshipping God fills the heart with joy and the mind with peace. A believer who is filled in this way can wisely keep a commitment to obey the Lord no matter what.



Today let us quiet the storm so that we may see what God is doing in our situation and take the time to look at the areas in our lives where He requires our obedience. He has never disappointed anyone and will never…THANK YOU LORD!

 Well said, Father, well said!  Peace for Kingston tonight.
Randy


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: