Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pico Rivera Earthquake: A Wake-Up Call

By Randy Economy
www.Economy4ABC.Blogspot.com
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
9:25 a.m.

Today, we had a 4.4 earthquake here in Pico Rivera.  Like you, it rocked me out of bed at 4:04 a.m.  For a split moment I thought, is this the BIG ONE?  Nope.  Not this time.  But, it did get my attention.

As soon as I wrote about this earthquake, within 5 minutes, more than 245 people from all over Southern California had logged on here to get the "news."

Our need to know details ...as it happens... is staggering to me. 

Since this earthquake, I have had people from India, China, Germany and Russia hit my blog.

Back when the Sylmar earthquake hit in 1971, (I was 11 then) the internet did not exsist.  We didn't have details about the death and damage all over the San Fernando Valley for several hours.

So, today, as we wait for minor aftershocks, we all need to appreciate just how lucky we were, and just how far we have come as a community and society.  I want to salute the great coverage this morning on local television news channels here in Los Angeles...especially NBC4.  They were up on the air as soon as this happened....and their coverage was the best in town.

But, remember...we all need to be prepared.  The BIG ONE is JUST around the CORNER!

No comments: