Monday, March 08, 2010

BREAKING: Senator Roy Ashburn: "Well, I'm Gay." So, will he be welcomed into the State Legislative Gay Caucus?

With Reports from CBS13.com in Sacramento

"Well, I am gay," said Senator Ashburn on KERN Radio. "Those are the words that have been so difficult for me for so long. But I am gay."

So, now that the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, will the California Gay and Lesbian Legislative Caucus welcome him into their club? Or, will he be left outside, in the dark, once again?

The conservative Republican State Senator Ashburn from Bakersfield, confirmed he is gay today less than a week after being arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving a gay nightclub in midtown Sacramento.

Ashburn made the state this morning to a Bakersfield radio station where he used to host a talk show. "Well, I am gay," said Senator Ashburn on KERN Radio to conservative talk show host Inga Barks. "Those are the words that have been so difficult for me for so long. But I am gay."

The 55-year-old father of four said he crossed the line and broke the law, putting people at risk, so he owes the public an explanation.  "The best way to handle that is to be truthful and to say to my constituents and all who care that I am gay," he said. "But I don't think it's something that has affected, nor will it affect, how I do my job."

Ashburn has been on leave since his arrest last Wednesday morning. But according to sources at the capitol, Ashburn was picked up at his home this morning by the Senate's Sergeant at Arms. He is expected to be back at the capitol when the Senate convenes today at 2:00pm. However, he is not at the capitol right now.


Drop me a note to RREconomy@aol.com, or click the headline from this Post and tell me what you think!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Billy in Old Sac! said...

I wonder also if Gay Assembly Speaker John Perez is going to welcome his new "gay" brother Roy Ashburn into the Gay Caucus. Interesing to see if the door is going to swing both ways...so to speak. Great post. Thanks for telling it like IT IS....