Wednesday, March 31, 2010

1,500 Remember the Life of Ryan Tiedeman in a touching Memorial and Rosary at Holy Family Catholic Church in Artesia


By Randy Economy
March 31th, 2010
12:01 a.m.
www.Economy4ABC.Blogspot.com

(Artesia, CA)  They gathered to remember, as if they could ever forget the life of a remarkable young man who was just beginning to enter the prime time of his life.

More than 1,500 friends, family members, civic leaders, educators, students, and neighbors packed into Holy Family Catholic Church to attended a two-hour tearful, emotional Vigil,  Rosary and Memorial Service to honor the life of Cerritos resident  Ryan Mark Tiedeman.

Tiedeman, age 18, was killed in a tragic car accident last week on the 5 and 605 Freeways with his friend Jacob "Jake" Aragon, 19 of Lakewood.  Ryan was remembered as a great athlete, who was a natural born leader, on and off the field, hockey rink, or basketball court.

"Ryan was someone who was always full of life, and love, and who will always be in our hearts," said his longtime friend Chelsea Cox during the service.

"Ryan did more in this 18 years, than most people do in 80 years," said Cox.  "Ryan was a standout athlete who excelled in literally everything, and we need to remember the way he lived, and not dwell upon the way he died."

Tiedeman was a standout athlete at Richard Gahr High School here in Cerritos who graduated in the Class of 2009.  He was attending Rio Hondo College at the time of his passing last week, and was a Member of the Men's Baseball team there. 

Many of his past and current team mates attended and all of them fought back tears.

I was touched to see the love and support given Ryan's parents,  Mark and Julie Tiedeman his sister Madison from everyone attending this emotional service.

Mark clutched his son's baseball glove, and held back his emotions.

Tonight was about love, and remembering, the life of a young man who died too soon.

Funeral Liturgy will be held today (Wednesday, March 31st) at 10 a.m. at Holy Family Catholic Church at 18708 S. Clarkdale Avenue, Artesia, with the Rite of Committal at All Souls Cemetery at 4400 Cherry Avenue in Long Beach.

If you have a special, kind, loving memory of Ryan, hit my comment section and tell me your thoughts or send a note to RREconomy@aol.com'
RrE
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

8 comments:

Jose Magallan said...

Thanks for the info. Here is my memory of Ryan, he will be missed.

My first meeting with Ryan tiederman was when I was coaching for the Lakewood YMCA.

I was coaching my younger brother chris, and I wanted to garner some experience because at the time I was an assistant on the boys freshmen team at gahr high school.

The team I was coaching was pretty good and we had a big game with another team who had just as good a record as ours.

We were totally blown out in that game and there was one main reason why. I think Ryan scored about 26 points that game. I know because My mom would record all of my brothers games and I'd take stats. He was getting steals on their press, creating opportunities for his teammates and obviously putting the ball in the basket.

He wasn't the fastest, didn't jump the highest, but boy he knew the game really well. He was very smart and had all the fundamentals of the game down. The following year I became the head freshmen coach at gahr and who do I see step into the gym on the day of tryouts!? None other than Ryan. We both looked at each other and kinda smiled cuz we knew about each other. Ryan was a pleasure to coach. It was nice to be on his team rather then the opposing one. He was a terrific teammate. That is what stands out the most to me about him.

We had a pretty good team that year, went 13-4 overall and 7-3 in league. He probably didn't play as much as he would have liked, but he never made any bones about it. He continued to work his tail off in practice and was always in it for the team. The last half of league his minutes went up and he played great. I remember a game against Downey where he gathered a long rebound and in one motion threw a three quarters court pass to a teammate. He already knew where he wanted to go once he got the rebound and the pass was precise. One bounce, leading his teammate to the basket. Not too many people have the basketball IQ to do that but Ryan did. The last time I saw him was his senior year. He was coming out the weight room and he was in his baseball gear. We shook hands and gave each other a hug. We reflected on that freshmen year and how fast the years had gone by. He looked lean and tall, but still had that look of happiness and excitement as he did when he was an 8th grader at the Y. He was a pleasant young man and we have definitely lost someone special. My memories of him will always bring a smile to my face and that will last a lifetime.

Buddy Brandon said...

What a beautiful tribute to Ryan tonight.

I was there and I am so so glad that Ryan's love was in everyones heart.

Life is so short, and so precious. Bless the Tiedeman Family this Holy Week!

Anonymous said...

RIP Ryan.

Good Friends Forever said...

The tears are still flowing. This will be remembered for a long long time here in our community. We love you RYAN and JAKE!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jose for that wonderful memory. SO SO SPECIAL, and so so kind. Thanks!

FoR Friend of Ryan said...

It was touching Memorial.

Julie Tiedeman said...

Mr. Economy,
Thank you so much for your loving and thoughtful tributes to my son Ryan. You didn't know him, but the kind and wonderful words that you spoke about him are greatly appreciated by myself and his family. Words can not express how grateful I am for all of the friends and family that have come out to honor Ryan. Ryan could try the patience of a saint, but was also a very loving boy. My sister reminded me that Ryan never disliked nor had an unkind word to say about anyone. He would be truly honored to see the amount of people that turned out to say goodbye to him.
I would like to thank my husband for being the best person ever and for giving me such a wonderful son. To my sisters,Lydia, Patty and Susie, thank you for supporting Mark and I and keeping me busy so that I did not turn into a lunatic like I wanted to. To Jane and Marilyn, I can not express my gratitude and love for all the support and help that you have given Mark and Maddie and me. To Tom and his beautiful girls, thanks for loving us and helping with everything this last long week. To my brother Steve and Rose, thanks for all of the prayers and support. For all of the people that spoke at Ryan's Rosary and Funeral, (you all know who you are)my love for you is unending and I am forever grateful that Ryan had all of you in his life. Also, much love and thanks to ALL of those that either called, came by the house or sent flowers and prayers to Mark, Maddie and I, we feel truly blessed. To my neighbors, you are the best and we feel truly blessed for having all of you in our lives (Wiersma rocks!). To the Rio Hondo baseball coach and the greatest bunch of teammates that Ryan was apart of, thank you for honoring Ryan not only with your presence, but with the obvious love that you had for him.
Again, thank you Mr. Economy for honoring my son Ryan,and giving people a place to tell Ryan stories, believe me everyone has one. You will forever be in our prayers.
With Much Blessings,
Julie Tiedeman (Ryan's mom)

gallery 802 said...

Excellent dude, keep it up.