Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MAKING NEWS: CNN'S Anderson Cooper is My Hero of the Day for Saving Injured life of bloodied Haitian boy on Monday in Port-au-Prince! W2G ANDERSON!

WARNING:
THIS VIDEO IS VERY GRAPHIC...!!!



Anderson Cooper, the man in front of the camera on CNN (and who is doing an amazing job in covering the earthquake in Haiti) is making headlines today for saving the life of a young boy in Port-au-Prince on Monday during a violent street riot.

The above video is VERY GRAPHIC, this is not for the faint of heart.  But you need to see what happens when you cover the news, and quickly become "part of the news."  Haiti is now becoming a human tragic war zone, and tonight more than 400,000 people are reported to have died from last weeks earthquake

Here is an excerpt from Anderson Cooper 360 Blog about the incident:


We were covering another story when we heard shots being fired. We ran toward the sound and found a store being looted. Two Haitian police officers were occasionally firing into the air to try to keep order, but that only worked for a few moments, then the looting would begin again.


They were stealing boxes of candles. An American businessman named Tony who owns two stores nearby barricaded one street to keep looters away. He had armed the two Haitian police with automatic weapons, and they were assisting him, but they were not able to control anything beyond their barricade.



It quickly became a free-for-all. Young men began fighting one another for the stolen items. A number of young men had knives, and planks of wood, screwdrivers and rocks. They were using their improvised weapons to threaten and injure others who had stolen items from the store. The robbers were now being robbed. One group of looters whipped another man with a leather belt. They punched him as well, and they stole the sack of goods he'd just stolen.


I was in the midst of the melee with Charlie Moore, my producer, Neil Hallsworth my cameraman, Vlad Duthiers, my translator, and there was a still photographer from Getty Images with us, photojournalist Jonathan Torgovnik. As things got really out of control, I saw a looter on the roof of the store they'd broken into throw what I think was part of a concrete block into the crowd. It hit a small boy in the head.


I saw him collapse. More chunks of concrete were being thrown at the looters on the roof. The injured boy couldn't get up. He'd try and then collapse again. Blood was pouring from his head. He was conscious but had no control over his body. I was afraid someone on the roof would see him lying there and throw another cinder block piece onto him. I was afraid he'd get killed. No one seemed to be helping him.


I ran to where he was struggling, and picked him up off the ground. I brought him to a spot about a hundred feet away. I could feel his warm blood on my arms. I stood him up, but he was clearly unable to walk. He wiped his bloody face, and I tried to reassure him. He had no idea where he was, and he clearly couldn't walk, so I picked him up again and handed him over to someone behind that makeshift barricade. Tony, the American businessman, gave the boy a wet towel. He was then taken away by someone else. We don't know what happened to him.


I hope he's ok."

Anderson, I hope he is okay also, and I hope you continue to keep safe...and healthy...during this dark hour in our history.

Tell me what you think?? Hit the headline of this BLOG POST, THEN CLICK on the "Comment Section" Listed BELOW to BE HEARD. Or, drop me a note to RREconomy@aol.com

2 comments:

Jan H. said...

"I saw this as it was broadcast. CNN has done an amazing job - their reporters haven't hesitated to jump in and help where needed. I can't remember seeing this kind of reporting/involvement before. Several Haitians are alive today because they took Dr. Gupta along as a reporter. When every doctor deserted a hospital he stayed behind."

Jenna P in East LA said...

"Randy, I totally agree with the comment u left on youtube"